I grew up on a farm in Wistow/Bugle Ranges in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia, & studied Arts & Law at Adelaide University, & Social Science at Swinburne University, Melbourne. A short collection of my poems was published in New Poets 14 (Wakefield, 2009). My poems have appeared in Australian Book Review (States of Poetry), Australian Love Poems, The Best Australian Poems 2014 & 2015, The Canberra Times, Cordite Poetry Review, Eureka Street, The Independent Weekly, Otoliths, Tincture & Transnational Literature. I’ve been a featured writer at Adelaide Writers’ Week (podcast) & SAETA’s Meet the Writers Festival 2016-18. My manuscript Carte Blanche won the 2017-18 Noel Rowe Poetry Award (shortlist/report) & is forthcoming with Vagabond Press in 2019.
Links to selected online poems
- ‘‘Diesel & Dust’ homestead [a landscape]’, Otoliths, 2018
- ‘Suburban Panopticon’, Australian Book Review, 2016
- ‘In Camera’, Australian Book Review, 2016
- ‘All Things Go’, Australian Book Review, 2016
- ‘Carte Blanche’, Cordite Poetry Review & The Best Australian Poems 2014, 2014
- ‘Homo Suburbiensis’, Cordite Poetry Review, 2014
- 4 poems (‘Via Anglesea’, ‘Flotsam at Gibson’s Steps’, ‘Summer Dam’, ‘When the Rain Comes On’), Eureka Street, 2008
Short collection of poems
- Sullivan, Thom, 2009, Airborne, in Emmett, ML, Hardy, R & Sullivan, T, 2009, New Poets 14, ed. C Black, Wakefield. (out of print)
- Ken Bolton: ‘This collection demonstrates a control that is sure but not rigid, that reveals itself only as formal grace. The poems are memorable: their imagery stays with us, their pacing & ordering are remembered for delivering an experience that the reader feels sharply.’
- Gibbins, I, 2012, Urban Biology, ed. T Sullivan, Wakefield.
- Pfitzner, J, Jones, GR & Mead, R, 2012, New Poets 17, ed. T Sullivan, Wakefield.
- Brydon, J, Hopkins, M & Hanson, S, 2011, New Poets 16, ed. T Sullivan, Wakefield.
- McKenna, L, Arden, L & Furtak-Ellis, S, 2010, New Poets 15, ed. T Sullivan, Wakefield.
- Dinic, J, Jones, GR & Sullivan, T (ed.), 2014, The Infinite Dirt, Friendly Street.
- Alder, K, Dinic, J & Eli, I, 2013, New Poets 18, ed. A Flett & T Sullivan, Friendly Street.
- Coleman, A & Sullivan, T (ed.), 2012, Light & Glorie, Pantaenus.
- John Kinsella’s Graphology Poems: 1995-2015, Plumwood Mountain, 2017
- Arjun von Caemmerer’s Vice Versa: New & Selected Poems, Cordite Poetry Review, 2017
- Best New Zealand Poems 2015, ed. J Newton
- Kathryn Hummel’s The Bangalore Set
- Best New Zealand Poems 2014, ed. V O’Sullivan
- Jordie Albiston’s The Book of Ethel
- Adrian Flavell’s On Drowning a Rat
“Light & Glorie”
In 2012, Aidan Coleman and I invited South Australian poets to write about the renowned stained glass in St. Bart’s Church, Norwood. 30 poets took up the challenge. The project culminated in the publication of an anthology, & a reading at which poets read alongside the windows.
- Reflections on the project’s 5 year anniversary, 2017
- News.com.au article
- Radio Adelaide interview
- ABC Radio National ‘The Spirit of Things’ podcast, with images of the windows
- Robert Rath’s photos of the reading